Sunday, March 11, 2012

Leaving Naija... Airline Man!

I was booked to fly out of Lagos on a 3:30pm flight on the worst traffic day-Friday, and I knew I wasn't going to make it! I got to Ikeja around 3:30 and went to my brother's office for some consolation and lunch, I was starving! Then I called the airline to let them know I had missed my flight, and to find out when the next flight was; they told me I would pay a $100 fine for not showing up, and the next flight was on Monday.All the while, I kept thinking, "darn it, I was hoping to leave here today- Friday and be there by tomorrow morning so I would at least have the weekend to get over some of my jet-lag; now, when I get there on Tuesday morning, I'll have to rush straight into class!!!

I got to the airport on Monday (quite early I must say... I like to check in early) and the airline staff who validated my ticket and I had this conversation...

Airline Man (so I'll call him A.M): Sarahhhhhhh, ah ah your flight was on Friday now
Me: Yes, so sad I missed it
A.M: Why now? (he looks into my eyes smiling)
Me: (seriously ahhhhh stop it, you're old enough to be my uncle...oh wait a sec, this could work in my favor) I know, it was the traffic (my innocent look was in full force and my innocent voice was at work)
A.M: Awwww, you should have left earlier... Ok, go and check in.
Me: Thank you so much sir (inwardly yelling YES!!! No $100 fine, ha! Back at ya airline!)

After checking in and waiting for a couple of hours the boarding call was finally made so I proceeded to the boarding counter, had my documents checked again, and went to the boarding tunnel (that's what those things are called right?).
As I walked through, guess who was walking out of it coming from the plane.... Airline Man. He stretched out his arms wide and said in Yoruba "se ooo ni hug me ni?" meaning "won't you give me a hug?" "What???? This isn't happening, I can't hug him, I won't do it!" I thought, then an idea hit me!
I immediately went on both knees (as is a form of respect for older people in Yoruba land) and said, "thank you so much for helping me sir"; embarrassed (because he must have only been 12-15years older than me) he waved me on and quickly walked away saying "no problem" because the people coming behind me were watching the entire scene.
I gallantly walked on the plane feeling on top of the world. My $100 intact, my hug tank intact :) and ready to leave Nigeria.

So, word out to you ladies... the kneeling down strategy really works, believe me! (wink wink)

3 comments:

  1. Love eeettt!! AM wants something that is too big for his mouth! Sarah welldone!kneeling down thanking him for helping out....can imagine the look on his face like 'rooight alakoba ni omo yi sha, ok..bye!'

    I find this absolutely hilarious! he must have been embarrassed! Tehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...Thanks Bims, I had to think quick! Yupppppp, that was pretty much the look on his face:)

    :) Anu, I'm innocent (insert wicked laughter)

    ReplyDelete