Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Are you from Africa?

ARE YOU FROM AFRICA?

Most people from the African continent have been asked this question many times, especially if they are frequent travelers like myself. Often times, I answer politely with "I am from the African continent, yes :); then flinch when it is followed by "what's the capital of Africa?" or "say something to me in African"! Or worse, "I went on a missions trip or a humanitarian aid to Africa once, the people's lives were transformed." Really???? All of Africa was transformed because of you? Is that so? People don't know that Africa is a continent? That continents don't have capitals, or a common language???! What are people being taught in school these days (notice how I say this like I'm an ancient person :)...




Bottom line, if you are not sure of something... ask! Don't assume and fill in the blanks, ask and enrich your knowledge base. I ask my German and Dutch friends the most seemingly random questions sometimes, but I really want to understand both cultures well.

Ok, ranting done for the day!


Signing off... N.T



No comments:

Post a Comment